top of page

Drivers licence and ID card renew online

The online site can only be used if you are renewing your drivers licence or ID card without changes. If you require any changes to your drivers licence or ID card, you must apply for the renewal in person at a registry agent office.

Online drivers licence or ID card renewals require a verified Account. Allow 10 business days after signing up for an account to receive your activation code in the mail to finalize your verification before completing your online registration renewal.

If you have any outstanding fines, you will not be able to renew your drivers licence or ID card online. If you choose to pay your fines first, you must wait a couple business days for the payment to process before you can renew online.

To renew online, you will need:

  • verified Account

  • Drivers licence or ID card 

  • credit card (VISA, MasterCard or American Express)

  • current web browser (Internet Explorer 6 or higher, Firefox, Chrome or Safari)

Renew in person

Bring your driver’s licence to the Red Deer Registries to renew.


Drivers with a medical condition (licences with a condition medical code “C”), 75 years of age or older or who hold a professional driver’s licence Class 1, 2 and 4 must bring a completed medical form. A medical examination required to obtain or renew a driver’s licence is not insured under the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan. As an uninsured service, physicians are permitted to charge patients for drivers’ medical exams. Physicians are private business persons and are able to determine their own rates or fees related to uninsured services.

If the photograph on your licence is 4 or more years old, a new one will have to be taken.

If you do not require a medical for renewal, you can renew your licence up to one year before the expiry date. Some things to consider when choosing the time to renew your licence:

  • you’re planning a vacation

  • other life events will make it difficult for you to renew your card when it expires

  • you’re moving - you will save on paying the extra change of address fee and will extend the term of your licence


If your driver’s licence expired more than 6 months ago, you’ll need to provide proof of legal entitlement to be in Canada (birth certificate, passport, etc.), as well as proof of your residency in Alberta (utility bill, residential lease agreement, etc.).

If it expired more than 3 years ago, you will need to pass the written and road tests before a new driver’s licence will be issued.

bottom of page